This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Sunday, October 11, 2009

What Are You Praying For?

           Halloween as an economic driver will be a continued topic tomorrow.  Today I would like to reflect briefly on the topic of prayer. 

Praise be to God, who has not rejected my prayer or withheld his love from me!

Psalm 66:19-20

The following are anecdotes I made up in order to illustrate a point. They didn't really happen to me.

          The other day after I purchased a lottery ticket I got down on my knees and fervently prayed to God, "Please let my ticket be the winning ticket."  And I proceeded to tell Him how much I needed the money and all of the wonderful things I would do if  I were to be the big winner.  Passionately I prayed and wept, believing that if I were sincere and faithful God would answer my prayer. After I rose from my prayer attitude, I pondered to myself, "How many other people are praying for the same thing?"  I started wondering how would God deal with all the prayers from people all having similar needs and wanting the same thing. Whose prayer is the most deserving, whose needs are the greatest.  To take my mind off of things I turned on TV.  A college sporting event was starting.  Both teams were shown to be praying before the game. I wondered if they were both praying that they would win.

The Lord searches all hearts and understands all the intent of the thoughts. —1 Chronicles 28:9


          From the time I was a very small child I adored my grandmother. My grandmother would give just about anything that I would ask for.  She was always there whenever I needed a word of praise, sympathy, or encouragement.  She never forgot my birthdays or Christmas and it wasn't unusual for her to give me a gift just because I was special to her.  As I grew older I became more involved with my friends and my activities and did not see her as often.  But she still always remembered me. She displayed my pictures with pride and greeted me warmly whenever I called or visited her.  After I had been attending college for a couple of years, I was getting ready to leave with friends on a Spring Break trip.  I received a call from my grandmother who asked me if I could please come to visit her. Her voice sounded very weak.  I told her about the trip and that I would come to see her as soon as I got back. She told me she was afraid that she might not see me again.  I told her not to worry, that I would be very careful, and I would come to see her when I returned. When I got back from my trip I learned that she had died.  Later, I was at her old house with family members.  As I silently looked around the house that held so many fond memories, I came to the kitchen where my eyes were drawn to the cookie jar that had always been full of tasty treats that delighted me so when I was a child.  I opened the lid to look inside.  It was empty.

then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and purpose. Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others.

Philippians 2:2-4

New International Version (NIV)



         These are some things to think about.  And so much more can be said.  And I will.  Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee