This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Monday, October 1, 2012

Teresa Rhyne's Book Release Day!


Teresa Rhyne and Seamus         On my memoir blog Wrote By Rote I have been following the publishing success story of Teresa Rhyne.  In March Teresa told her story about how her book came to be and the road toward publication.  Then in August she gave her report from the floor of Book Expo America in New York City and her successful preview debut.  Finally, the big day is here!  Tuesday October 2nd is the official release date of The Dog Lived (and So Will I).   Teresa is here to fill us in on more of the story.  And be sure to visit Teresa's blog for even more info.  (Also check out the link Teresa gives toward the end of this post for the personal appearances she has scheduled so far--if you're nearby it sounds like fun!)

         Do you know who has a book coming out on October 2nd? Yep. Dennis Lehane, Jo Nesbo, Louise Erdich, Sherman Alexie, Bill O’Reilly, Ann Coulter, Nora Roberts, Jasper Fforde, and Neil Young. Oh, and me. And probably another 100 or so authors. But me. I’m there. I’m among them.  Check out this list from Publisher’s Weekly and this article on why October 2, 2012 is the Best Book Day of 2012 (they did that whole article without mentioning my book; I’m shocked. Ahem. Not at all.) This sums up quite well the dichotomy that is my publishing experience of late, and, I imagine, the publishing experience of many a first-time author.

the box of my books I received from the publisher. It's an exciting moment in a writer's life. .
        On the one hand, it’s wildly exciting to even appear on a list with names like this. I felt the same way (the “I can die happy now” way) when my book was listed as a BEA Buzz Book alongside Barbara Kingsolver. But then of course, because I’m new (and nervous, and probably a bit of a freak at this point), I think “Aaargh—I’ll get lost in the stampede of fabulousness that is all those other books!” Then I think, “Stop using exclamation points, you are a writer, damnit! Stop. It.” And also, “Yes, but maybe this means everyone will be rushing to bookstores and they may as well pick up your book too.” Because, you know, that happens. But the reality of it is I have very little control over any of it. Luckily, I have professionals looking out for me (my publisher, Sourcebooks, and their team of marketing, publicity and sales aces) and they know far better than I what to expect. They try to simultaneously encourage and caution me, and they advise me, but it’s all some crazy Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride to me. And to mix fairy tales but remain firmly in Fantasyland, sometimes I’m the toad and sometimes I’m the princess. To wit (because I’m always a lawyer):

Princess: Publisher’s Weekly gave me a nice review, as did Library Journal. Cesar’s Way magazine also had a nice blurb. A national magazine is doing an article and sent a photographer to my home for a photo shoot of me and my dog.

Toad: A different national magazine did an interview and we were told there’d be an article in the October edition. I gleefully raced out to buy several copies of the October edition, only to discover there wasn’t a word in it about me or the book. No word why. We’re seriously hoping I appear in the November edition and return to Princess status. But we don’t know.

Princess: Target picked up the book and will have it in all of their stores.

Toad:  It won’t be there until October 17th. Target is big enough to have its own release date. Okay, that’s not very toad-y; that maybe even sounds Princess-y. But it goes to show you the odd world of book sales.

Princess:  My boyfriend happens to own a wine shop (hey, I’m no dummy) and we’re partnering to do a series of “Words, Wine & Wags” fundraising events for various animal rescue organizations and “Words, Wine & Women” events for breast cancer groups. It’s a chance to introduce the book and the wines, and hey we get to bring our dog and help some great causes. Great response from the dog groups so far. And I’ve been asked to appear and do signings at several animal fairs and walks.

Toad:  We can’t seem to find any interested breast cancer groups and have had very minimal luck getting bookstores to be the bookseller at any offsite events. (So Chris will be selling not just wines, but books!)

Princess:  There was interest in an interview from a national TV show.

Toad:  The dog had to be with me and the interview has to be done in an East Coast studio. I’m on the West Coast and I won’t fly the dog in cargo (dog lovers get this; if you’re scratching your head, recall what just happened to supermodel Maggie Rizer’s dog en route between San Francisco and New York.)

Princess:  Blog reviewers were interested in advance copies and have been very kind in their comments. The reviews have really touched me. It’s fascinating to discover what someone else gets out of my writing. And this being a memoir, it’s also good to know they seem to like my main character.

Toad:  ….No, there’s no toad on this one. Readers are great. Bloggers are great. People who love books and reading are great.  (Amazon reviews haven’t started yet.)

And that’s really the fantasy come true here. It’s not Fantasyland anymore. Whatever happens, I’m not a Princess or a Toad. I’m a published author. With a book tour. And readers who love the book.

Wait….I’m a freakin’ Queen!

Here’s my schedule of events for the next month:   http://teresarhyne.com/appearances-and-events/ If I’m in your neighborhood, I hope you’ll stop by and say hello. I’ll be the one in the tiara. With warts.


The Dog Lived (And so will I) by Teresa RhyneThe Tale Of A Dog Who Wouldn’t Let Go And The Woman Who Followed His Lead.


Teresa Rhyne vowed to get things right this time around:  new boyfriend, new house, new dog, maybe even new job.  But shortly after she adopted an incorrigible beagle named Seamus, vets told Teresa that he had a malignant tumor and less than a year to live. The diagnosis was devastating, but she decided to fight it, learning everything she could about the best treatment for Seamus.
She couldn’t have possibly known then that she was preparing herself for life’s next hurdle – a cancer diagnosis of her own. Teresa and Seamus would battle for their lives together, while at the same time she’d bare her heart for a seemingly star-crossed relationship

The Dog Lived (And So Will I) is the uplifting, charming, and often mischievous story of how dogs come into our lives for a reason, how they steal our hearts, show us how to live, and teach us how to love.


Available now on:




Amazon





Enhanced by Zemanta

19 comments:

  1. Great post as usual Lee, this book sounds seriously awesome! Best of luck with the book coming out this month buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Teresa! Now that's a heck of a release sendoff. And really glad you both lived.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love that story... i love the whole thing/post... also those dog eyes on the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent post Lee, my congrats go to Teresa, all the best with her book.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations, Teresa. I have to admit the blurb brought a lump to my throat and then sent me straight to Amazon. Unfortunately, it doesn't come out in the UK until the 25th, but I've added it to my wishlist.

    Thanks for the awesome post, Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw! Sounds like a book that will make me cry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all! This was so nice to wake up to this morning. My book launch party was last night--family and friends and we made it a fundraiser for the local pet adoption center. Many books sold, a couple of thousand dollars raised for the adoption center, and 2 dogs were adopted. It's been a great 24 hours and your kind comments are a part of it. Thank you.
    Ellie-- thanks for letting me know that about the UK sales too. Add that to the list of things I didn't know (but now do!). And Diane-- well, you may cry at times, but you should laugh more. And as the title suggests, I promise everybody does live.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an amazing story this has to has to be! It's one for me to read for sure.

    And I agree, opening that box of books...the one you wrote... is a thrill. Thanks for posting about your story.

    ReplyDelete
  9. CONGRATS to Teresa!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad I read this post. This is a book I'd like to read and might not have found otherwise.

    Blog buddies are great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This book sounds fabulous, and is definitely going onto my shopping list. I'm so glad I popped by to read about it. Best wishes for success.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you all! Your comments are warming my nervous newbie author heart. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lee, thanks for the intro to Theresa! Theresa, congrats on the book! Wishing you all the best. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Its exciting to hear the UPS truck pull up to yout house, the door open, and hear the plop of your box of books being delivered to your front door.
    '
    Congrats! with The Dog Lived and best wishes for lots o success!

    ReplyDelete
  15. And thanks Lee for letting me hijack your blog last week. I was on a wireless vacation last week and was not able to check in and leave comments. I'm just catching up on things and stopping by to say hello.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Karen and Stephen! And Stephen, I wasn't home when UPS delivered the books, but I was deliriously happy to nearly trip over the box of books when I did come home. Probably literally delirious had I actually tripped, but luckily we'll never know.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great post Arlee. What an inspiration she is. Can't hardly wait to be able to say "My book is being released this comimg month". What rush that must be! Congratulations to her.
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great blog post. I'm currently writing on my first book and I hope it will be published some day, so I can understand that it must be a simply overwhelming feeling when you can hold your own book in your hands and you know that there are people out there who see it in the bookstore and buy it.
    The books seems to be very interesting and I wish Teresa all the best and a lot of success!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee